Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy President's day!

9:45 AM - President's day is a working day for me. Going to start out today by creating a simple line drawing in our editor. Then implement loading in that saved data to the iPad app. Then drawing it. Then Animating the drawing. Also plan on finding a pencil image to go along with the drawing. Also working on thebackground for the drawing. Will go to that point.

10:00 AM-11:45 AM - Created a number of simple drawings to test with. So far so good, our editor will help a lot in creating content. Yay! Then finished with the initial pass of importing objects. We can now read, lines, rectangles and circles into our program. Assuming I coded it correctly. We will be using CGRects instead of point pairs as it's the same size of data, it's easier to downsize a line from that data than upsizing other things, and UIBezierPath has nice functions like bezierPathWithOvalInRect: for ease of drawing some of that.

11:45 AM - 1:30 PM: Talked with Chad, a co-worker, for about half an hour then went to get some lunch and read some slashdot on time estimates for programming. Sounds like most everyone else has about the same amount of luck I do -- it's just an educated guess, it depends on how educated you are. =)

1:30 PM - 2:00 PM: Fixed up what I did before lunch. You now call a function passing in the category and filename. We're now getting drawing objects from the file put into an array and sent back from this function. Next stop is actually looking at the cocos2d way of doing this as well as the new UIBezierPath way of doing things.

2:00 PM-5:45 PM: found out some discouraging news. UIBezierPath isn't able to be animated. This means I'll have to implement my own animation for these things. Cross your fingers for me. =) So, not as far as I'd have hoped today. Maybe later tonight I'll get more done here.

7:30 - 7:45 PM: researched one last ditch effort to not write my own. Didn't work out.

8:15 PM - Decided to write my own UIBezierPath clone using openGL and the cocos2d code to get around the over-time issues. We'll see how it works out.

8:15 PM - 12:00 AM: Brutal. I'm well on my way to making it draw incrementally, but I'm worried I'm not understanding everything appropriately. MoveTo is odd, I found out how to implement my own ellipse using rectangles, etc. I'm not sure how well this will work out but it's worth a try. Once I am done I will have a drawing framework that draws in openGL the following: Lines, Circles, Ellipses, MoveTo, Polygons, Quad bezier paths and Cubic bezier paths. This is way more of an education than I'd like on this stuff, but I think it's going as well as can be expected for not having planned to write this myself. Did I mention I'm really bad at trig? Still need to implement the ellipses function and the drawing for Quad/Cubic bezier paths. My other drawing may simply not work at all and I haven't run this yet for anything so who knows what else is left. The animation should work out pretty well though fairly non-standard for cocos2d. Start the animation by calling [self startAnimation] on the CCAnimatedBezierPath layer. I'm hammered, time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment