Thursday, June 20, 2013

Quiet around here lately...

I've been doing a little underground work lately working with SpriteKit, apple's new iOS 7 clone framework that is basically the same as cocos2d.  If you follow my blog you'll notice that that's a natural fit for me. SpriteKit looks to be very well done and I'm excited to play with it and see what it can do.  But what's a guy to do with a framework that has no TMX map viewer?  Well, apparently write his own.

Yeah, I think I might be nuts too.  That's a bit ambitious for a late night hobby.

Still, I've conscripted the help of a kind soul who wants TMX maps in SpriteKit as well as having been given source access to the developing kobold2d.  I might even use that source as a cheat sheet if I get really stuck.  =)  But for the most part, this is a learning experience.  I've been able to make a TMX generator, so why not a TMX map viewer?

Well, so far so good.  Mostly.

Layers, rotation and tiles are all in and working.  There are some lame lines throughout the entire thing. I'm not sure if it's antialiasing that's causing these or just some bad math.  Meh.  Regardless, It's getting there!  Exciting stuff.  =)

Also of note, an awesome game developer, Noel Berry, that I follow on twitter posted some thoughts of his about procedural generation in his current project.  It's worth a read, and it has source!

No comments:

Post a Comment